Monday, August 10, 2009

Strategy and Planning

I found this week's reading on strategy and planning to be fairly basic though quite helpful as a result of my own experiences in various workplaces, despite not coming into contact with an explicit Public Relations plan in any of them.

While 'informative' isn't a word I would necessarily use, (taking most of the content to be easily understood/borderline common sense), it was a helpful reading in that it brought to light and clearly outlaid processes and practices which I have witnessed in an informal manner in various working environments.

My experience lies primarily within the hospitality industry, where upon completion of the reading I recall ongoing discussion and generation of a informal models of planning and strategising of a brand/image/reputation etc. As I previously mentioned, I have grasped the concepts covered in the reading (the five P's; perspective, position, purpose, process and pattern, the difference between strategy and planning etc.) due to recognising them in my past work experience, though better understood them when they were clearly defined. It seems as though they were very general, 'vision statement' type approaches without being substantiated by concrete planning. Goals and aims of the companies could have been better outlined to staff through public relations models such as the PERT network or Gannt chart.
I feel that each of the companies I have worked for could strengthen their public relations and marketing through more conscious and formal discussion of planning and strategising rather than letting their reputations with various publics form relatively organically...and somewhat uncontrollably.

It also became very clear to me that the collapse of many businesses or organisations would be inconsistancies within "The Five P's", such as differences in perspective and position. For example, one catering company I have worked for (which shall remain unnamed) has earnt a positive reputation and repore with customers (a primary public), has positive relationships with staff, has formed a beneficial cultural expectation within the company of strong work ethic, and has successfully built and is continually expanding a loyal clientelle. Therefore, the company's perspective is very encouraging. However, her lack of organisation and tendancy to barter and bargain has been detrimental to other publics and facets of the business such as the reputation within the industry, relationships/problems with suppliers, etc.

What is clear is that all five P's need to be unified and the Public Relations strategies and plans need to be cohesive and comprehensive.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Grace,
    I agree with what you said about this weeks reading being 'borderline' common sense.
    Although obviously not everyone would agree. I too work in Hospitality and fully support your views regarding the ways in which many business struggle.
    I worked in a small scale hospitality business, and although the reputation of the restaurant amongst diners was great, the relationship with staff could be described as a little dodgy and eventually really annoying.

    Awesome blog even though you only just put it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting post and I can see how you'd link the article content with your hospitality experiences. Just a note "repore" is spelt "rapport"
    Mel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear, how embarrassing.
    Just for the record, I did know that, must have been the Monday 9am stint in the library with no money for a coffee.

    ReplyDelete